Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A great weekend

Weekends like this make me want to move somewhere where it's always summer. Don't get me wrong, I love PA, but when it's freezing cold outside you don't get to do fun stuff unless you want to lose your patootsie to frost-bite.

First, I slept in on Saturday. This is not something I usually do, but I needed the sleep and it felt great.

Then, we went to Seven Springs to fiddle around in the woods, play some games, and grab a box.

Finally, it was time for the yearly "Greensburg Days" fair. This is a three day long extravaganza of fried food, mediocre rock bands, bingo, and carnival rides. My first stop every year at Greensburg Days is always Jim the Greek's Gyro shop. Jim is a deaf-mute greek man, but he's built like the dudes in "300." And he makes the best Gyros EVER. I always get mine with extra feta cheese, I love those little crumbly cheese bits.

My son ate halushki and fries. For those of you not from an area that was settled by people who descended from large stinky vegetables, halushki is buttered noodles and cabbage. It's delicious, and I finished what my son didn't eat.

For such a small fair, Greensburg has an awesome fireworks display. I tried to get really nice picture, but they came out sorta poopy, so you don't get the full experience. Here are a few of them anyway:



After the fireworks, it was time to ride the rides and play carnival games. I went on a few of the upside-downers and went on a few normal rides with my son who is not yet large enough for the big-boy rides. Again, I tried to get a nice picture of us on the Ferris wheel, but this is all that came out. blah:
Finally we went home, the Pirate went to bed, and I carved the stamp for the upcoming "Beers of Summer" Postal Tracker, actually tracing the image off of a six-pack from the fridge. I'm REALLY happy with the way the stamp came out, and I hope all the other lushes in the ring will be as well.

Sunday? Laundry, then some summer clothes shopping, and finally some more boxin. It was a good day, we found both boxes we set out to find, planted #6 of the "Pride of Pittsburgh" series (thanks Safari Man!) and replaced the logbook in #1. Then we did a little hiking and I found this tree:
How cool is THAT!?!?! I know this probably means that the tree is infected with something (it is in fact dead, but you can't see that part further up the tree) but I just love this thing. It will be a prominent feature in a clue sometime this summer.

While we were hiking, I was sending out find reports on my PDA and updating box status while actually on the TRAIL! It was pretty cool.

Finally some Frisbee (with the 130 gram model, the 180 gram is a little too heavy for tiny hands) and then some sleep. All in All a great weekend.

No comments: