Monday, May 21, 2007

Yukky Gardening

This year I decided to plant a garden.

There's this "dad" in me that sorta wants me to be domestic. I'm not the typical sorta dad, my son likes the Ramones and Dillinger Escape Plan and is 5 years old. I have these CD's that I have burnt with kid friendly punk rock and metal on them, and that is what I play when he is awake. I don't want him to learn to cuss, but I also want him to know more than the crap that is on the radio. However, I always have this nagging fear that there should be a sense of normalcy in his upbringing. Thus the garden.

Last year, I planted Kentucky Colonel Mint and forgot to buy any other plants. This resulted in my entire garden becoming a mint patch, which I learned is an "intrusive" plant. This is no joke. If you don't put up a good enough border, mint will creep into your house and steal your beer. This year, I dug up the mint in all the places I didn't want it, all the while being "hollered at" by Colonels from Kentucky. (state motto: "If it's brown and ain't whiskey, you should be flushin' it.) I then placed a brick border around the mint patch to curb it's larceny. The result:


If you look, the mint is already trying to creep over my border. I may have to send it to the brig. Now, because this year I was planting a proper "garden," I wanted to have other plants. But the problem is I don't like most vegetables. I did some thinking and decided I wanted to plant baby spinach, as I like this for salads. Iceberg lettuce sucks:


I planted squash, but I realized I hate squash. So I ripped that bastard out and planted lemon-balm instead. (If anyone knows what to do with this, I'm all ears.) I planted it cuz it smells nice:


I planted onions to chop up and put in to my burgers and meatloaf. These are just lil' guys right now, so that's my finger pointing at the the infant onions:

I just love pesto, and I knew it had some green shit in it, so I figured out what it was and planted some of it. (It's BASIL!):
These are peas or beans, I forget which I bought. I hope they're beans:

These are chives. I have no idea what to do with these things. But they did get some flowers that fell over:


And finally, these are cherry tomatoes. I personally think tomatoes look like afterbirth, but my son would rather eat them than candy. So these are for him. I know I don't need that big ass stick in there yet, but I put it in anyway to give them some encouragement to grow huge:

Well that's it. I also have some flowers strewn about the house, but I got tired of taking pictures and went on a hike instead. If anyone knows what the hell I can do with lemon balm or chives, it would be great if you could clue me in.


Farmer Yuk

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Some people are born to gardening. I don't think you're one of them. =)

Sue KuKu said...

Chives: we had chives growing up. Mom would send me out with kitchen shears to cut off some of the chives. Then we'd chop it up and put on our baked potatoes.

It's okay to plant something just because you like the smell. Tho I just googled lemon balm: among other things, you can rub the crushed leaves on your skin to avoid mosquitos! And it HAS to smell better than OFF or those other things.

Anthrogradjess said...

Mint is evil. The people who owned our house prior to us planted it in our front flower bed. I bought stuff that the nursey people swore would only take one or two applications to kill the mint....I have used two bottles and spray it two to three times a week. (stupid mint is where I want to plant "pretty" stuff)

Your other plants look rockin'. A green thumb to go with your green face. :-)